Pages

Sunday, November 09, 2014

SATURDAY NIGHT GENEALOGY FUN: HAIR-RAISING FAMILY ADVENTURES!

It's been awhile since I did one of  Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy
Fun Challenges. I couldn't resist the hair-raisin one this week: 


1)  This week we're going to look for men's facial hair in our photograph collection.


2)  Find one or more photographs of men in your ancestral families that have facial hair - a mustache and/or a beard.  

3)  Show the photograph if you have it and tell us a bit about the person shown.   If you don't have a digital photograph, please describe the man and his facial hair the best you can.

4)  Write your own blog post, or a comment to this blog post, or a comment on Facebook or Google+.


It turns out I have quite a few ancestors with facial hair who posed proudly showing
it for posterity:



3x great grandfather Philip Richardson



2x great grandfather Asa F Ellingwood

2x great grandfather Jonathan Phelps West



2nd great grandfather Amos Hastings Barker


And most of Amos' sons and sons-in-law had mustaches:




I think for many years men grew beards because they kept their faces
warmer in Winter. Well, that's my theory, anyway. 

Grandfather Floyd E West & great grandfather Philip J West.


Our Dad occasionally grew a mustache but I don't think Mom liked it so
it didn't hang around very long when he did.

And as for me, well, I've been trying to grow a beard or mustache for over
fifty years now and all I have to show for it is some fuzz!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

You do have a lot of facial hair in your family. I only have a photo of 1, my 2X great grandfather. There are others who may have had beards and/or mustaches, but I have no photos and no descriptions.