Sunday, July 14, 2013
THE DATE MY FATHER WAS BORN
I wanted to do last night's "Saturday Night Genealogy Fun" exercise from Randy
Seaver's Genea-Musings but I was tired, so I put it off until today. Here's the rules
for this one:
Your mission this week, should you decide to accept it, is to:
1) What day of the week was your Father born? Tell us how you found out.
2) What has happened in recorded history on your Father's birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
3) What famous people have been born on your Father's birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
4) Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.
So here we go:
My Dad was born on July 17,1924, in Bethel, Oxford, Maine
1. The day of the week was Thursday, according to the What Day Of The Week
All of the rest of my information, (with a few comments) comes from the "On This Day List" report in RootsMagic 6:
1203 The Fall of Constantinope to the 4th Crusade. (The Crusaders were a tad way
off from the Holy Land.)
1762 Catherine II becomes Tsarina of Russia. (She was known as Catherine the Great,
(mostly because her predecessor was known as "Peter the Meh.")
1918 The massacre of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia and his children is carried out by Bolshviks during the Russian Revolution.
1936 The Spanish Civil War begins.
1955 The opening of Disneyland
3 Famous people born on the same date:
1744 Elbridge Gerry, 5th Vice President of the USA and the Father of gerrymandering.
1889 Erle Stanley Gardner, author of the "Perry Mason" mysteries.
1899 James Cagney, movie star.
1912 Art Linkletter, tv and radio host of "Kids Say The Darndest Things" & "House Party"
1952 David Hasslehoff, actor, star of "Knight Rider" and Cumberland Farms iced coffee commercials.
4) I posted here, and also posted the links on G+ and Facebook!
I think Dad would have gotten a kick out of sharing a birthday with the last three
Thanks, Randy for the fun!