Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

ABINGTON CIVIL WAR MEMORIAL ARCH REDEDICATION FRI. SEPT.21






I received the following anonymous comment on my post about the
Civil War Memorial Bridge here in Abington and I thought I'd repost it
here so others like myself who might be interested in attending could see it:

Wonderful blog and great photos!

In answer to what will happen to honor our Civil War soldiers and the 300th Anniversary of Abington, MA, a subcommittee has been created and is run by Robyn Fernald of Abington.
I am also serving on the committee as a member of the 22nd MA Volunteer Infantry, Co.D. - US Sanitary Commission - Boston Branch who will be running a Civil War encampment the weekend of September 21-23, 2012.
There will be Union and Confederate units there at the event, many of whom belong to the Rockland GAR Hall.

The Arch Ceremony will be on Sept 22. Details are still being ironed out. It is my hope to recreate some small parts of the grand procession Mr. Hobarth (town historian) wrote about when North, East, South and Abington proper celebrated the end of the war.

If you are interested in more information about us, here are some links thru Facebook
Island Grove Encampment Event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/182123475221746/

22nd MA Vol. Infantry Co. D.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/22ndmass/

US Sanitary Commission - Boston Branch
https://www.facebook.com/groups/136253156395042/ 



I look forward to attending this with my camera!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr West,

My name is Debra DiFranco. I posted about the event as it is my living history unit who is putting on the event.

The Arch Dedication is slated for Saturday September 22.

There will be details published in the Abington Mariner as we get closer to the event and finalize the details. It is very nice to see others take such pride in Abington and her humble history, she is a jewel!

Respectfully,
Debra DiFranco