Pages

Friday, July 01, 2011

A CLUE FOR A BRICKWALL?

Waaay back here in 2007, I wrote a post about my ancestor Lydia Phelps, detailing
how I'd had to revise the information I had on her. I'd discovered  that her parents
were not Jonathan Phelps and Lydia Parker, but were Scottish immigrants whose
names I have yet to discover.I also discovered that my 5x great grandfather John
Ames was Lydia's second husband.  She was the widow of Sampson Read.
(Thanks again to Larry Overmire for allowing the use of his research)

This morning I was looking at the newly released Sons of the American Revolution
Membership Application files at Ancestry.com and checking out the names of my
ancestors who served in the Revolution. Then I tried a few that had lived in the right
period but that I've never discovered any records to indicate military service. One of
them is my 4x great grandfather Philip Pierce Richardson, another brickwall
ancestor. The search brought up the name Lydia Phelps Richardson. Now that
piqued my curiosity, as you might imagine, so I clicked to see the image, and this
is what I saw:




This the application of one Ralph Joseph Richardson who claimed descent from
Sampson Read and his wife Lydia (Phelps) Read . Ralph's grandparents were
Joseph Richardson and Lydia Phelps Read.  Could there be a connection to my
Philip Pierce Richardson, or his son Philip Richardson?

I'll let you know what I find out.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds like a very promising lead indeed! Good luck on your continued search.

Becky Thompson said...

I'm anxious to learn what you find out, Bill.

Wendy Grant Walter said...

Wow- sounds very promising. I think I will head over to Ancestry right now and see what luck (if any!) I have!

Cherie Cayemberg said...

That's great! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and looking forward to hearing the follow up!