Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

ABOUT THOSE ROAD TRIPS AND PICTURES

I've been posting a lot of pictures lately from the little roadtrips
I've taken on my days off from work and some folks might
wonder what connection they might have with genealogy or
my family history.

A little background first: up until recently I usually spent my
days off reading or on my computer. But after my health
problems earlier this year I resolved to get off my duff and
get out of my apartment and DO something. I also decided
I'd take along my digital camera to record anything I found
interesting along the way. So far, those trips have been to
some of the local land preservation areas.

When I am walking at someplace like World's End or
the Norris Reservation I find myself wondering if any of
my ancestors or relatives had lived nearby and walked
these trails or seen the views I see. Of course the skyline
would be much different; there were no skyscrapers
across Hingham Harbor in Boston. But there would have
been sailing vessels entering and leaving, and there
would have been farms with livestock in some of the
same spots they are today.

Because I live in one of the oldest areas of Massachusetts
I frequently drive by old houses with plaques on them that
tell when the house was built. I drove by some this past
Thursday dating back to the 1700's. Did any of my ancestors
know the people who lived in those houses? Could any of
them have actually visited them, or could they have even
been someone who'd lived there?  Marian Pierre-Louis
wrote a post at her Roots and Rambles blog about the
things she sees and notices driving through New England
which has given me even more to think about on my drives.

Eventually I'll be visiting the FHL, the NARA and other
places more closely connected to genealogy and I'll be
blogging about those trips. But while the weather is good
I plan to enjoy these woodland walks while wondering if
I'm following in my ancestors' footsteps. 
 

1 comment:

Marian said...

Glad to hear you are looking at the landscape differently! It's amazing driving around Massachusetts isn't it? We are spoiled to be able to walk amongst our ancestors.