Pages

Saturday, May 15, 2010

SATURDAY NIGHT GENEALOGY FUN: THE WAYBACK MACHINE

It's time for another of Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun challenges over at his
Genea-Musings blog. This one involves taking a look back at our blogs as they looked when
they first started:

1. Go to the Wayback Machine at
http://www.archive.org/ (it's right in the middle of the web page)

2. Enter the URL (web address) of your first genealogy blog or website into the search field. [If you don't have a blog or website, then enter your favorite blog or website.]

3. Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a comment on Facebook. Show us the image of your web page if you can.

"West in New England" started back on 23Jan 2007 under ummm...slightly embarrassing
circumstances. Originally my geneablog was entitled "West of New England" but somehow or another I had forgotten my password! Luckily I had saved my first five blogposts so I simply
started a new blog, and since the name "West of New England" was already taken, I named the
new one "West in New England".

Unfortunately the earliest post the Wayback Machine has of my blog is this one from 13Aug
2007. I was using the "simple" template at the time but eventually I changed it to the present
one for two reasons. The first was this template had more room for the text so I don't have to
fix sentences as often as I did with the old form. Secondly I wanted to add some color to the
page and I liked this shade blue. It's soothing on the eyes, I think.

I also have a "mirror site" on Wordpress because I'm paranoid and wanted a backup of my
blog "just in case"

So that's my blogstory, some 730 or so posts later!

No comments: