Pages

Friday, November 16, 2007

NATIVE LAND























“Breathes there the man with soul so dead
Who never to himself hath said,
This is my own, my native land!'
-Sir Walter Scott
"The Lay of the Last Minstrel" (1805)





When I took these pictures of the North River in Hanover and
Pembroke I didn’t realize that my ancestors had lived in the
area. I did know that there was something about the Herring
Run and the view of that bridge over Rte 53 that made me
want to stop for awhile. Back then I’d take my Canon AE-1 and
drive around the South Shore taking pictures of the foliage and
landmarks.



I actually used to ride my bike down to the Herring Run when
I was living in Hanover and take a book to sit in the sun for a bit.
A few times I walked the paths on either side of the river above
the falls and once I was actually there when the herring were
but I didn’t have a camera with me.


There is something about New England that makes me sure I
wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. And I’m sure my fellow
genealogy bloggers must feel the same about the areas where
they live.

2 comments:

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Beautiful pictures. It's surprising that so much of New England is still rural.

I find myself in the land of my ancestors through a quirk of fate. If you had posted this in the summer I would have had to agree with you. But since we had lake effect snow yesterday I was reminded why my ancestors left!

Terry Thornton said...

Bill, What a great bridge photo. And when left-clicked, the enlargement shows so much detail. I'm into bridges --- and this one is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
Terry Thornton